Funding Options For At-home Care

Considering your options for funding your at-home care?  Then we’ve put together an overview of how you might be able to go about it.

Your local authority

First stop when looking for assistance with paying for your home care is your local authority. Request an assessment from them of your care and support needs. If they agree that you do need support, they’ll then conduct a means test, to see if the authority will meet the cost of your care or if you’ll have to contribute.

If the local authority does agree to pay all or some of the costs, you’ll be set a personal budget, so you’ll have some autonomy in arranging your care in the way you see fit. Having a personal budget means you could hire a carer directly, rather than relying on the local authority to do so. However, if you do, you could face substantial financial responsibilities including providing a pension for them.

Alternatively, you could hire carers through a specialist agency or via your local authority. Even if the local authority won’t help fund your care, you are still entitled to advice from them as to how best to arrange the care you want to put in place.       

Potential benefits available

There are also some benefits available that may help you to fund at-home care. If you’re under 65, then look into whether you’re eligible for a Personal Independence Payment, which could help with some personal care costs. Alternatively, if you’re aged over 65 and require assistance with personal care such as getting up in the morning, going to bed, washing, getting to the toilet or eating, you may be eligible for Attendance Allowance.     

NHS care

If the at-home care you need is health related, rather than social care, you may in some circumstances receive help from the NHS. If your needs are severe, then they may be met by NHS continuing healthcare, meaning you could receive free care outside of hospital that is arranged and funded by the NHS, providing a “continuing care package.”

However, any decision about whether you were eligible for such care would only be made after an initial and then a full assessment, with a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals being involved in the final assessment. The NHS may also fund other types of care including “aftercare” and “nursing care” in certain circumstances.

Charities and funds

In some instances, a charity may be able to step in and help contribute to your at-home care. If you’ve worked in a particular industry or sector, it may be that there is a corresponding charity that could offer you assistance. If you have a child under 18 who needs at-home care, the family fund may be able to help for example.

So there you have a few examples of where you may be able to seek help in funding your at-home care. We hope you’ll soon have the help you need in place.  

Contact Employ Social Care about your domiciliary care recruitment needs; they’re a well-established specialist recruitment agency with over 20 years’ experience. They can help arrange temporary or permanent home-based care staff.  

You may also like